Dogs on Wicklow hike

Dogs on Wicklow hike

Friday 17 May 2013

Just in the nick of time...

Well, trial 1 is over. The last two runs of the trial (Craig and me being one of them) ran this morning due to fog rolling in last night, and it's a good thing because last night I couldn't walk because of my back, never mind stand at a post for 11 minutes unsupported. The chiropractor paid a trailer visit and something must've helped because although I was never upright yesterday, this morning I knew I had one chance at being upright and that would be it. I shuffled out to the post, assisted by Team Boywood of Mary Lou, Linda and Alistair. I was leaning heavily on my crook and I'm sure my face was pasty white. I sent Craig left but he was running tight so I whistled a big get-out and my back spasmed. I started to go down but was able to grab the post like a life-preserver. I didn't see Craig again until he was lifting the sheep, as I was blind with pain but I'm told he kicked out beautifully.

I couldn't whistle or even really talk as the wind was knocked out of me, but Craig started bringing the sheep on his own, managing an obstinate ram.

Poor Craig did much of the work on his own without much help from me, and time elapsed in the shedding ring. We survived with a 68, which on this field still gives me something to put with my next run, if I am able. I struggled back to the trailer, with kind offers from many of the handlers for drugs (over the counter btw) and even a walker! So I have about 30 hours more healing time, although I'm not sure it will be enough. All of the Boywood crew have decent scores to work with. Mary Lou has good scores with both Dyna and Tim.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment